Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:50:56 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Linux driver?

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 11:10:39 -0500 (EST)
Daniel Feenberg articulated:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Da Rock wrote:
>
> > On 01/03/12 22:10, Jerry wrote:
> >> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:44:30 +1000
> >> Da Rock articulated:

> > Jerry, there are so many things that are so wrong and so un-pc in
> > this statement that it is more than ridiculous. But we will ignore
> > the political/religious sentiments and try to stick to the
> > technical.
> >
> > Winblows, Mac, Linux, BSD, others APIs are like cheese and chalk
> > (although Mac is a closer relative than any other). By your logic
> > we should be getting Winblows drivers to work on BSD.
> >

> Don't ndis(4) ndiscvt and ndisgen(8)  essentially accomplish what the
> OP is requesting? See the handbook section 12.8.1.1:
>
>      http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html
>
> or the man page for ndiscvt:
>
>    http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=8&topic=ndiscvt
>

> While doing the conversion looks a bit beyond what we would expect of
> an end-user, it does seem to offer a path for using hardware whose
> manufacturer does not support FreeBSD. Is there anything beyond
> licensing issues preventing such drivers from being included in the
> distribution, or made downloadable in FreeBSD form?

This is a start in the right direction, but by no means an end to it.
While it does work for some devices, I have tried using it on several
wireless "N" devices for example with total failure. It also doesn't
work at all for printer/scanner/fax/etcetera drivers. A unified API
would eliminate all of this bullshit and make the setting up of and the
maintenance of a system imminently easier.

--
Jerry ♔