Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 08:55:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        koshy@india.hp.com (A JOSEPH KOSHY)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lowend support!

> Hi Amancio and FreeBSDers,
>
> Something which was posted to this list caused me to sit up.
>
> amancio> The point that it must run  on minimal hardware is debatable at
> amancio> this time tnks to Win95 8) Many are upgrading the systems with
> amancio> enough resources to run a multitasking operating system.
>
> Well folks, I can think of one place where the rush to upgrade hardware to
> run Win95 will /not/ be pronounced and that is here in India.  I am sure
> there will be many places in the world which will share this reluctance.
>
> There are oodles of [34]86's here running on 4/8/16 MB (E)IDE
> configurations; cost is a major consideration and anything that will allow
> people to get their work done without forking out Rs by the shovelful
> would be greatly appreciated.

I also think that Microsoft's (and I guess Amancio's) model of
everyone moving toward a 32MB multi media pentia with a big hard
drive is wrong, and represents another opportunity.  4MB disk
servers, routers and "internet boxes" in a distributed environment
is an interesting model and fits what we have now.

Hopefully we'll stick with the "runs on 4MB" that we have now.
Heck, we even have Joerg booting his 2MB system, granted it doesn't
run.

I'm not as concerned about "runs on 4MB" and "configures and installs
on 4MB".  Given your needs that is a concern for you and small
memory footprint configuration and installation is one place you
can contribute.

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936