Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 14:19:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> At 2:50 PM 9/16/95, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> >This can still be made to work, just change the name from ``stable'' to
> >``stable-2.2'' in the sup control files when that tree gets created (
> >I suggest YAST (Yet Another Source Tree) for this, as it might be nice
> >to have critical bug fixes go to users via sup who are running 2.1R,
> >just cut the cvs and sup updates down to once every 3 days or something
> >slightly more reasonable for a maintainence mode tree.
>
> Why bother with "stable" anything. Just call the tree 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.
> As for the long term support, I think we should consider CTM as the
> distribution mechanism rather than sup.
>
> Comments?

I can live with those names, names are just labels and are not so important
to me any more so long as I have a description of what the label means
as far as content.

On the sup vs ctm, well, when ctm can fix my tree I just splattered
all over I'll switch, until then I will leave it to the others to
use.  CTM is slightly fragile with respect to anyone doing work in
there local tree, while sup has documented mechanism to deal with
it (backup is a really nice option, as are old and keep :-).  Some
how I think it will be a long time before CTM can offer that level
of fuctionality.

Sup could use some protocol rewrites so that it does things like
mass tranfer of the inode update information instead of doing it
1 file per 2xRTT and perhaps some smarts about file moves would help
cut load down for things like the cvs repository (files going into
the Attic are a pain :-().