Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:05:48 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best console hardware monitor pkg?

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:48:19 -0400, Quartz wrote:

> >> I've been using mbmon in the past, with xmbmon in X when needed.
> >>  From the manual: "mbmon  used  at the command line reports the
> >> temperatures, voltages and rpm (rounds per minute) of cooling fans."
> >> Is this what you're looking for?
> >
> > Port:   sysutils/mbmon
> > Moved:  sysutils/xmbmon
> > Date:   2014-01-31
> > Reason: Has expired: Use sysutils/xmbmon instead. This port will be removed soon
>
> Does xmbmon actually require X? It doesn't appear to have any dependencies.

Yes, xmbmon is an X application, displaying numbers and
moving graphs, but mbmon is a CLI program. Check the
"make configure" options of the port and see if you can
deselect X support. It seems that the two initial ports,
mbmon and xmbmon, have been unified into one port, so I
assume there's a means of selection to disable the X
functionality if you're not going to use it.

Depending on your hardware, calling "mbmon" prints the
different temperature, rotation and voltage values, for
example like this:

Temp.= 52.0, 40.5, 44.5; Rot.=    0,    0,    0
Vcore = 2.53, 3.10; Volt. = 3.26, 5.48, 13.74, -13.77, -7.01

It can be run continuously or just once, the output can
be piped and parsed as needed. See "man mbmon" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany