Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 18:00:31 -0500
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   posessed by daemons?

I am having very weird problems with a machine that I am trying to
bring from 1026-SNAP to 2.1.0-RELEASE through the make world/build
kernel/make world process.

The src seemed to extract OK but I found a couple of bit flips in
various files that killed the compile.

When checking this out I found that md5's on the src tgzs were not
consistent, and inconsistent in a weird way.  If I do 'md5 *' in the
src directory, three or four of the 131 files don't match the md5's on
the same files generated on another machine.  Different files exhibit
this from run to run!  However, I can do 'repeat 10000 md5 sgnu.aa |
sort | uniq' and not get any mismatches (no matter what value of
sgnu.aa I select :-).

I am seriously mistrusting this machine at this point!  It is a P90,
SiS, L2 cache disabled, 2940, 4GB Barracuda, as slow as the CMOS will
let me on the memory accesses.  I don't know whether to blame the
memory or disk sub-systems.  Of course, no errors are ever reported on
either and for user stuff it runs like a champ, although it is very
lightly loaded.  There may be some incremental bit rot going on but I
haven't seen any in the three weeks or so it has been up.

WTF is going on?  I can, of course, get more info. on the motherboard
if it will help.

Thanks,
Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>