Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 02:35:11 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        jleppek@harris.com (Jim Leppek)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, tony-o@iij.ad.jp (Toshiharu Ohno)
Subject:   Re: ppp

> Yes, my provider wants to see 0.0.0.0 during the initial negotiation
> phase however thats the problem. A 0.0.0.0 address gets converted to
> 192.0.0.1 within the ppp even if you set ifaddr 0 0.
> This occurs in ipcp.c around line 164 per my earlier mail message.
> It is this forced ( and hidden ) conversion that I question.
> When I set my initial address to 0.0.0.0 I expect ppp to use it.
>
> I definitely like the new ppp and have stopped using my old pppd
> scripts by this conversion of 0.0.0.0 is a definite gotcha IMHO.

User process ppp has a dial on demand function, too. And it's should
assume a valid ip address for trapping a outgoing packet. After
dailing and connecting your ISP, it may negotiate and get a new ip
address. In this situation, trigger packet will be lost due to old ip
address without any bad effect to peer - using "192.0.0.1".  But other
mode, they don't do need a such a tric.

> I removed the questionable src lines and rebuilt ppp so all
> is well for me but for anyone not comfortable with tweeking sources
> or tracking ip negotiation bugs I suspect it would have taken
> a bit of time.

So I will recomended we should confirm and make sure what's a right
things ;-)

> Jim Leppek

Atsushi.

P.S. I will CC: this to auther.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341