Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:53:06 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8" Floppy drive? (Of Course.....(:+}}.....)

User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys writes:

> > At the very least this should be good for a laugh, but the boss dug up
> > about 50 8" floppies and wants the data off of them and onto modern
> > media. From way back, I recal the 1.2M floppy hardware interface wasn't
> > terribly different from the 8". Where both 8" and 1.2M disks turn
> > 360 RPM vs 300 RPM for 360k disks. Maybe there is a chance an 8" drive
> > can be attached to my FreeBSD system?
>
> Why laugh.... you have an honest application that needs a proper solution.
> Those that would laugh are shortsighted.....

Why laugh? Because sometimes if I don't laugh, I'll have to cry.

The sad part is that so far no one is willing to authorize the
destruction of these disks, no one knows what is on them, or what
format they are in. In the past we've been known to take unknown
data like this and simply dd it to a file and preserve that file
with a note as to how we did it. Or in the case of a tape a printed
copy of Sun's tcopy output is filed with the new tape.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net