Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:18:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Its about that time of year again.  (FreeBSD & MCA)

But instead of lamely asking "Does FreeBSD support MCA?" or "When will
someone finish MCA support?" (which I suppose is still a valid question.)
I will ask another question; "Anyone want to see what I've got so far?"

http://www.jurai.net/~winter/mca/

		README.mca
		mca.diff
		mca.tar.gz

MicroChannel Architecture System detected.
mca0: <MCA bus> on motherboard
mca0: unknown card (id 0x8fda, enabled) at slot 1
ed0: <WD EtherCard PLUS 10T/A (WD8003W/A)> io 0x280-0x29f mem 0xd0000-0xd3fff
ed0: irq 10 on mca0 id 6fc2 slot 2
ed0: address 00:00:c0:31:94:30, type WD8003W/A (16 bit)
ie0: <3Com EtherLink/MC Ethernet Adapter> io 0x300-0x307 mem 0xc0000-0xc5fff
ie0: irq 9 on mca0 id 6042 slot 3
ie0: <3C523 R14> address 02:60:8c:da:15:ac
mca0: unknown card (id 0xeeff, enabled) at slot 4
mca0: unknown card (id 0x8efe, enabled) at slot 5

Granted, I'm still having problems getting the (until now ISA only)
drivers working with these cards but if_ed_mca is able to send packets and
complain about device timeouts and the if_ie_mca driver does manage to
blow up somewhere inside of ieinit().  :)

Basically, I believe that I've got all the pieces needed for FreeBSD to
support MCA devices, should any device drivers actually be written.  I've
got a pile of stuff I'm trying to work through here so drivers should show
up at some point (I think the 'aha' driver for the aha1640 will work out
of the box but I don't have one to test that theory on.  Yet.)

I'm planning on committing this stuff to -CURRENT in a week or two, or
when I actually manage to get a driver working, whichever comes first.

I'd really like a few other people to try booting a kernel with this code
on any of the MCA systems they happen to have laying around just to make
sure that my changes do indeed work on other hardware than my Model 77.

If someone has a ABIOS block device driver code hiding on their hard disk
I'd really like to look at it (I already know about the Mach3 stuff).

Thanks!

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |