Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:08:29 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple autoconf versions

Pollywog writes:

>  I am running FreeBSD 6.2 and I discovered that I have four versions of
>  autoconf installed.
>
>  autoconf-2.13.000227_6 Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
>  platforms
>  autoconf-2.53_4     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x platforms
>  autoconf-2.59_3     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x platforms
>  autoconf-2.61_2     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x platforms
>

>  Should I remove any of them?  I know that in Linux, having more
>  than one version of autoconf can cause problems, but I am not
>  certain of what to do here.

	What I would do:
	1) for each version, run "pkg_info -R <version>"
		If this returns empty, it should be safe to delete.
	2) for each remaining version, run "portupgrade -r <version>"
		Warning: autoconf is required by automake, which is
		used by great heaping gobs of stuff.  There is a minute
		possibility any upgrade will break something.

				Robert Huff