Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Thomas <ath101a@yahoo.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple USB ethernet devices on one usb port (with hub)?

Bernd,

Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de> wrote:
> You might take power consumption into acount.
> If your hub is not powered it can't supply more then 100mA per port.
> check the required consumption of your ethernet devices with
> usbdevs -v.  In case they require more then 100mA you *must* use
> a self powered hub.  Many cheap hub lie about their power state,
> but that doesn't change the requirements at all.

Thanks for the pointer!  It looks like I need to try a powered
hub:

laptop# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
 Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
port 1 addr 2: full speed, power 300 mA, config 1, USB 2.0 Ethernet
 adapter(0x1040), BayNETGEAR(0x0846), rev 0.01
port 2 powered

I'll scrounge up a powered one and report back.

Thanks again.

Andy