Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:30:18 -0500
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent security announcement and csup/cvsup?

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 06:26:14PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 18 November 2012 18:17, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> insecure
> >> cvsup,

> >> Checks are being made, but CVS makes it slow work.
> >>
> >> It's incredibly unlikely that there will be a problem, but the Project has
> >> to be cautious in recommendations.
> >
> > Thanks Chris for the update.  May I politely suggest that the web page
> > as I read it yesterday was more along the lines of "assume your machine is
> > rooted, reinstall it".  The reality is the message should have been "we
> > cannot prove cvs/cvsup was not affected yet, but we are continuing to
> > investigate.  If you want to be really sure you weren't affected, reinstall
> > from known clean media.  Else wait for further updates".
> >
> > While I understand some people, especially the more security minded people,
> > want to deprecate all access that isn't signed and secured, its no reason
> > to cause people unnecessary work/panic.  Plus signing is only as good as
> > the security of the systems doing the builds and signing the content.
> > Its just been proven that they may not be as secure as expected.
>
> I'm afraid that you have to do your own risk assessment-- for the
> Project to recommend anything else would be irresponsible, and a major
> disaster should anything turn out to be compromised several months
> down the line...

In order to do a risk assesment you have to have information that is
lacking so far.  There was nothing on the web announcement about the
fact that cvs/csup was being audited, but the audit wasn't complete.
I've also seen people comment that csup started working again, but
there has been no word on the results of the cvs audit.

I agree it is up to individual circumstances, but right now there is
little information on which to base the decision

Thanks,

Gary

P.S. Please don't take this personally Chris, I appreciate that you
have been replying.  However the FreeBSD Project has to start working
with its users and communicating more effectively with them about this
potential problem.