Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 18:14:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        dyson@freeBSD.org
Cc:        current@freeBSD.org
Subject:   DEVFS: John, can you suggest..

My new DEVFS/SLICE code seems to work fine..
except:
occasionally I get a call from the system to transfer an
amount of data that is not a multiple of 512 bytes.

actually 4736 bytes to be exact.
( (9 * 512) + 128 )

can you imagine how this is occuring?

do I have to respond to some special ioctl
to keep the system happy?

The stack trace is:
(by hand)

<my stuff>
spec_strategy
spec_vnoperate
spec_getpages
spec_vnoperate
ffs_getpages
vnode_pager_getpage
vm_pager_get_pages
vm_fault
trap------
slow_copyin
ffs_write
vn_write
write
syscall

Using my new slice code, I cannot complete a make world, because 'install'
seems to sometimes fall over doing this. Everything else seems to be
working just fine.

I can do a make buildworld if I can get past the installs
during the building of the obj binaries for the build.

any thoughts?

this is with a 2 day old kernel source tree.
same tree compiles a NON DEVFS/slice kernel that works just fine, so
it's something I'm not doing.