Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:16:14 +0300
From:      Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net> wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Bryan Drewery
>

> On 7/20/2012 11:57 AM, Reko Turja wrote:
>>
>> I'm testing out the pkgng system and somehow a port managed to pull
>> devel/pkg-config into one low level port polluting whole db. "pkg check"
>> just wants to install the annoying thing. Is there any way to get rid of
>> that erroneous dependency?
>

> Which port is pulling it in?
>
> sqlite3
>

>> > In production system, these kind of errors should be somehow
>> > correctable, especially if pkgng is to be used with ports as well.
>

>> If the port defines invalid dependencies, it's not pkgng's problem, it's
>> the port.
>

> True that, but there should be way of pruning cruft from the pkg tree
> anyway. Even if the system is going more and more to linux way for majority
> of users (one package fits all) there should be some kind of allowance for
> those who want to build their own ports, but do not have access to major
> build clusters ;) Ability to build and customise ports has been major reason
> for using freebsd for me.
>
> If you get force-fed all the dependencies the port does not really need
> something like portupgrade -a will become major PITA.
>

> Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
>>
>> The port devel/pkg-config is used in many ports, there's no harm in
>> installing it.
>
> I'm not running Gnome nor any gnome stuff except glib2. "pkg-config" might
> be used somewhere, but it's completely unneeded in my systems and just extra
> baggage for building and tracking dependencies.
>

> -Reko

Its use is not limited to Gnome, as you can see it's used in the build
process of databases/sqlite3 and there are many other ports that have
nothing to do with Gnome that use it the same way. The only thing that
is wrong with it is that ends up being a run time dependency of
sqlite3 instead of being only a build time dependency. Maybe this
could be changed, anyone know if it's possible?

Regards,
Kimmo Paasiala