Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 96 08:27:36 -0600
From:      Mike Eggleston <mikee@sys8.wfc.com>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xforms maintenance tools (was Re: Tcl/Tk sysinstall)

>> writes:
>>
>> > It seems that Jerry Kendall said: >> Now I am using the xforms
>> library and the fdesign gui builder... It >> looks great and works
>> very well. Have decided to write some other >> utilities
>>
>> > Erm, do you really must use xforms ? Some of the things I saw
>> made > with it were awful, especially menus... (tried XFmail).  The
>> > interest of dialog is that it runs on the console _and_ under X11
>> > (well in an xterm but it is better than only X11).
>>
>> Why not have a html/cgi based manager.  That would run under lynx,
>> chimera, mosaic, etc., for local and remote administration.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> How about security? I don't feel I would like that kind of
> management tool...

> 	Sander

Security can be handled by the server's internal authentication
protocols.  For httpd just set up authentication on the single
person(s) that is allowed to modify the security configurations.

To me, for a company (an ISP maybe?) that had a central mis group, but
all their computers/servers were distributed around the country/world,
a distributed configuration/management system would be ideal.

I wouldn't want to run X through a 14.4 remote dialup from around the
world (I have little enough hair as it is (8)

Mike