Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/3924: de.spinne-1.0.0

The following reply was made to PR ports/3924; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To: helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De
Cc: helbig@ba-stuttgart.de, freebsd-gnats-submit@hub.freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:21:31 -0700 (PDT)

  * Hmm, sorry about that. Wolfram suggested to put it in a new collection
  * ports/german. I didn't like that idea too much, since spinne's `de'
  * is considered a deficiency of the software--the authors are just to
  * lazy to translate the docs and online helps to English. This
  * deficiency should not give birth to a new collection.

 I think it's fine to put it in "german" if the extent of the lack of
 documentation makes it impossible for non-German-speaking users to use
 it.

 BTW, I don't think we should celebrate the creation of the new
 collection with a fanfare if that's the reason, but you never know
 what will come of it.  For instance, I've been asking (for years,
 literally) Korean users to submit ports so we can create a "korean"
 category.  Well, none came, and when itojun submitted a bunch of
 multi-lingual nvi ports, it included Korean support, so a new category
 was created.  I also put Wnn in there because it was looking so
 lonely (it was basically just a #define change from japanese/Wnn).

 However, there were a couple of ambitious Korean hackers that got
 encouraged by the addition of the new category and the next thing we
 know, there were dozens of new ports in our gnats database.  The
 korean category is one of our largest now, with 28 ports.

  * I suggested a new collection like ports/informatics or
  * ports/computerscience, that includes software used and written by
  * computer science students.  (compiler/interpreter of strange
  * languages (Pascal), Turing Machines, visual MIXAL ...) This would
  * be a proper place to put spinne in *and* it would help FreeBSD
  * spreading on the campus.

 As Thomas said, these can just go to lang or cad or whatever.

 Satoshi