Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 1998 09:25:17 +1000
From:      Carey Nairn <C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        Paul MacKenzie <elephant@cgocable.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Domain name problem: DNS & Sendmail??

pinging fqdn.com won't work since ping requires a host address not a domain
address.

If you can send mail to xxx@fqdn.com from within this domain I assume you
have either set the CW flag in /etc/senmail.cf or have an entry for
fqdn.com in /etc/sendmail.cw

To mail to this domain from outside your own network you need to things:

1.  The domain must be registered
2.  The DNS for this domain must have a MX record for fqdn.com

cheers,
Carey Nairn

At 16:12 6/04/98 -0400, Paul MacKenzie wrote:
>Hello,
>
>small problem..
>
>when I send mail to xxx@server.FQDN.com it works..
>
>when I send mail to xxx@FQDN.com it doesnt..
>
>I have  (apart from spending hours of work)
>
>1) set up masquerading properly within sendmail
>
>tested by simple pinging... ie..
>
>ping fqdn.com  (it works when I manually send mail within my network)
>
>I get the following.. ping: cannot resolve FQDN.com: Unknown host
>
>yet there are no problems with www.FQDN.com, ftp.FQDN.com, etc...
>
>Thus, all mail is refused..
>
>Any help with this (dns?) problem would be appreciated
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul
>

>"Compassion is the only true answer to suffering"

Carey Nairn              		Mailto:C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au
Information Systems Branch           	Phone:  (03) 6233 3077
Dept of Premier & Cabinet              	Fax:    (03) 6224 3174
GPO Box 123b Hobart, Tasmania 7001
AUSTRALIA