Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:51:46 +1000 (EST)
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modifying boot mgrs FROM FREEBSD

I have a FreeBSDcurrent box with W95 under os-bs or bteasy. I managed
to configure it to be the form that doesn't modify MBR so the boot process
is wired. Like a fool (well actually, to fool my 4yo son into only getting
W95) I wired W95 as default.

So here I am (was) in FreeBSD with a new kernel to test, logged in remote
(where you should never reboot but wtf, lets live dangerously)

So how can you tune the bootmgrs from within FreeBSD? Sure, lotsa recipes
to drop to DOS and run <widget> but given the damn thing is actually
written by sysinstall (albiet via weird magic in wizards.c returning hex
in structs) there really should be a way to tweak/frob from inside Unix
and modify the 1-2 bits needed to flag what the preferred booting option is.

Or isn't FreeBSD self-hosting in that sense?

I know. if I want it, stop wingeing and code it myself. Just asking...

All moot. I kicked it in the guts and the damn thing is sitting on that
slime-green backdrop playing a 3-note lick by Brian Eno to itself. Sheesh,
you think I'd have got one of the UnDerGrOuNd rewrite-boot-screens to work
by now. Ach well. If nobody opens the door to the office, nobody will hear
it screaming to itself.

cheers

-George