Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2018 08:50:57 +0100
From:      Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de>
To:        Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing requested: Hybrid ISO/USB boot

Hi Benno,

> On 22. Mar 2018, at 7:06 PM, Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> I=E2=80=99ve been working on the ability to create hybrid ISO/HDD boot =
images for x86, a la what Linux systems do with ISOHYBRID. The general =
theory seems to be that ISO images have a 32KB hunk of zeroes at the =
front that they generally ignore so we=E2=80=99ll stick something in =
there that can handle booting if need be. The cases generally break down =
as follows:

Very cool!

I ported the patch to 11.1-RELEASE and built an OPNsense image[1]
based on the commands enclosed.

(I'm not entirely sure if the porting was ok as there were quite
a few challenges... but for the sake of testing...)

Bhyve boot: ok

VirtualBox boot: ok (when using extension .iso)

APU1C boot: aborts with "Invalid partition" 3x, then "No /boot/loader"
and then escapes to "FreeBSD/x86 boot" etc.

It's an UEFI style ISO[2] so not sure if this is problematic.

I have other hardware to try and your image, but that's for later.

Cheers,
Franco

--
[1] =