Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:16:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

> I have 3 laptops (with various pccards) on which I test FreeBSD on a
> fairly regular basis, and by all appearances the FreeBSD PCCARD
> support has continued its gradual de-evolution process in our latest
> releases, things now having gotten to the point where even the
> mainstream stuff doesn't work anymore.  For an example of what I mean,
> I just tried to bring up 3.1-RELEASE on a fairly standard Digital
> HiNote laptop with 3COM 3C589D PCCARD NIC and it failed to work at
> all.  If you power the laptop up with the card inserted, it says
> "Driver allocation failed for ep0" (or words to that effect, the box
> not sitting in front of me at the moment) and if you try a
> hot-insertion, it either completely fails to notice the insertion
> event at all (this now appearing to be a general problem with pccardd)
> or it notices but still fails to do anything useful with it.  Same
> setup used to work in 2.2.8, sadly enough.

Yes.  And I told you about this fuckup before 3.1 went out, and nothing
was done about it.

Apart from that, things work as well as they ever have, which is Ok
once you understand what's going on, but certainly less than
wonderfully.

What's killing us is that the laptop market isn't standing still, while
we are (modulo occasional total braindeath).