Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:59:21 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <craig@yekse.gank.org>
To:        "J. R. Lenz" <ralf@starshadow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: useful shell script

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 12:40:56PM -0600, J. R. Lenz wrote:
> Reclaiming disk space was a high priority on my laptop, which has a 4gb
> FreeBSD partition.  So, I wrote a useful shell script for removing all the
> "work" directories in the ports tree (I'm sure someone has already done
> this, but it saves a little bit of time for those people who are not
> fluent in shell scripting).  You'd be surprised how much disk space can be
> freed up by removing unused source code and compiled objects.

You may already know about this, but IMHO it's so useful that it bears
repeating:

$ grep WRKDIRPREFIX /etc/make.conf
WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj

Then if you forget to run make clean after installing some ports, just:

# rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/ports

Setting WRKDIRPREFIX in make.conf will cause the ports tree to put all
of its 'work' directories under a separate hierarchy.

Craig