Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:54:47 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org, bde@FreeBSD.org, ache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: whois(1) patch for review

hi,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:25:46PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> > I have made few modifications to whois(1) to shut up BDECFLAGS
> > warnings, cleanup code, and add new features.
> [snip]
> >
> > Resume: with this patch included to add new country's whois server
> > we'll need to add only one string to text file, not to modify
> > whois(1) code as it has been done by Andrey for '-R' and as
> > some pending PR's proposed to do.
> >
> > PS: I also removed -R switch for whois(1) which was used to point
> > to Russian whois server, since it is replaced with "-c ru"
> >
> > PPS: It's tested on STABLE, but I don't think that there can be problems
> > with -current.
> >
> > PPPS: Patch is dirty threfore any ideas on its cleanup are welcome. Also
> > additional idea on improving whois(1) flexibility are welcome! I hope to
> > get some free time on this weekend and commit it if nobody has strong
> > objections.
> >
> > http://phantom.cris.net/~phantom/whois_patch.tgz
>
> Wow.
>
> I think there's been a GREAT deal of duplication of effort over whois(1)..
>
> Have you looked at Mike Barcroft's patches, posted both as a PR and
> as a longish thread on -audit a couple of days ago, or at Joachim
> Strombergson's patches, posted as a longish thread on -audit a month
> or so ago?
>
> My understanding is that Mike Barcroft's patches remove the warnings,
> and Joachim Strombergson was working on the server list thing :)

I did not follow things going on carefully for almost two months while
I'd a deal with graduate project, but now since it's finished (Yay!!!)
and I got some time I started to dig to old patches (made during last
three months) and it's one of them. :) I'd incorporated few missing
points from Mike's PR and have on hold Joachim's (I have plans and ideas
to make it even more optimized).

So, if people also started to work on this topic it shows its
actuality, IMHO. :-)