Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2021 09:38:58 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Half OT: laptop reccomendations

On 12/24/21 18:50, Graham Perrin wrote:

Thanks.

> <https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/list.aspx?fc_mem_l4=1&fc_scrn_12=1&sel=NTB>;
> four models, three non-Windows, I can't guess whether any one will take
> FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE in lieu of what's pre-installed.

When I go to that page, I only see one product (Chromebook x360);
possibly we see different things from different regions?

In any case, I've always steered away of ChromeBooks, as I heard they
are hard to put FreeBSD on.
Is this not true?

> Defocusing from HP, whatever you have in mind:

Ok.
So, back to the only one I found:
https://starlabs.systems/pages/starlite-specification

Will it work?
I'm especially doubtful about the WiFi card: I'm not sure IUIC, but it
seems this is not supported out of the box and drivers, while existing,
are considered experimental.
Am I wrong?

> FreeBSD is an unknown, be aware that 13.0-RELEASE can not boot a variety
> of computers. A fix will be in 13.1-RELEASE.

This is interesting.
Is this some sort of regression over 12?
Any pointer to some discussion about this?

  bye & Thanks
	av.