Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2012 05:08:22 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_MODULES in /etc/make.conf doesn't work

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:59:44 -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> How does one, when building the kernel, prevent building one or more modules?

Use the "new" means of /etc/src.conf (see "man src.conf" for
details) to prevent the building of modules.

> I have
> WITHOUT_MODULES= ulpt
> in /etc/make.conf
> but ulpt.ko always appears in /boot/kernel directory.
>
> For now, I want to build all modules except for this one, but
> perhaps I could keep everything in kernel config and not build modules.

Also a possibility - for "best control" case, combine both, e. g.
a custom kernel that only includes what you explicitely specity,
and src.conf to avoid building of modules you're intendedly not
going to need.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany