Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:39:05 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        eischen@vigrid.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, java@FreeBSD.org, jdp@polstra.com, java-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject:   Re: porting libjava to FreeBSD

> I'm  trying to  make a  port of  libjava (to  give some  meaning to  the
> currently  useless  gcj installed  by  the  egcs  port on  -stable,  for
> example). It also seems to provide A LOT faster java compiler...

I'm quite interested in this.  However, would you be willing to base your
work on the either the FreeBSD gcc-devel port, or on the GCC "head"
branch snapshot?  I am pretty sure major additions like this would not be
accepted by Cygnus/GCC in the 2.95.x branch.  And I don't look forward to
trying to port such stuff to the newer GCC code base, which is where the
future is.

> Any suggestions on what should be  used on FreeBSD instead? Or, perhaps,
> this  is not  going to  work  and a  new freebsd_threads.c  needs to  be
> written for libjava? Thanks,

There have been some thread configuration changes in the GCC development
branch.  I should have an updated ``gcc-devel'' port working and
committed within the week.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)