Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2020 13:21:19 -0500
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@ipfw.ru>, net <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ip(8) in base

> From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
> Subject: Re: ip(8) in base
> Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 09:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

> > > From: "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@ipfw.ru>
> > > To: net <net@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.=
org>
> > > Subject: ip(8) in base
> > > Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 10:11:11 +0100
> > =

> > > I want to introduce ip(8) or something similar in base.
> > > Basically, I need some userland tool to explicitly operates on nexth=
ops, nexthop groups and fib lookup algorithms.
> > =

> > > The existing tools are not well suited for the job: route(8) may be =
a candidate, but (a) it would either add another bunch of  options or dras=
tically change the tool by introducing [route nhop add], [route nhgroup ad=
d] and (b) listing is traditionally done by netstat(8).
> > =

> > I agree with the others who said not to use ip(8) if the tool is not
> > compatible with the Linux ip.  Also, routing is (at least in theory)
> > independent of address family, and that makes the name "ip" too specif=
ic.

> I strongly agree with this.

> > However, I think that route and netstat are sufficiently extensible to
> > add additional facilities, as they have been so far.  One suggestion,
> > though, would be to preserve the general strategy of using "route verb=
 ...",
> > e.g. "route add nhop ..." rather than "route nhop add ...".  These see=
> > sufficiently similar to existing functionality to share a tool.

> Again, I agree with the above statement by Mike.

> The proposed commands are all in support of "route" features,
> and in BSD it is the route command that is used to maniplate
> these, please do not deviate from that.  I have seen no strong
> reason given that route(8) and netstat(1) can not be extended
> to add the desired functionality.

> > Similarly, if possible I would prefer to see --libxo json rather than =
-j.

> I have no skin in this one, other than to state that iirc the
> route(8) command is currently without any long options so
> adding this --libxo would require adding long option support,
> which is probably not justifiable for 1 option.

I think the reporting ("list") should be in netstat rather than route,
with the possible exception of enhancements to "route get".  Of course,
netstat already uses libxo.

> > > I feel like there is a need of some cli tool that provides the abili=
ty to easily extend it by having separate namespaces for each sub-command =
(hello, ifconfig).
> > =

> > > Naming is hard. I can, for example, use "rt" as a name to address my=
 use cases.
> > > However, given the kernel interfaces for managing nexthops/nexhop gr=
oups are the same as with routes/arp/ndp, why not spending some additional=
 time and support operating on routes and neighbors and name it ip?
> > =

> > > Though, that arises multiple questions.
> > > Are we comfortable with ip(8) as a name in general?
> > > If we are, what's our take on having the compatible interface with L=
inux ip(8)? =