Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:03:40 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        John Scharles <johns@cruz.isle.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 2.1.5 from my ftp site

John Scharles wrote:

> Thanks to the replies I've gotten I've managed to cobble up a scheme that
> works. When I tried to symlink /cdrom under ~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE
> it wouldn't allow anonymous ftp into that directory (permissions looked okay
> but no go....if anyone can tell me how to do this I'd really like anonymous
> access to my cdrom from ftp!). What I  finally had to do was link
> /cdrom/dists to FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE under my home directory and ftp in as
> me. I saw nothing about an FTP error flag under the options menu where I
> went to change my ftp login, but it worked okay never the less.

Symbolic links don't work well for anonymous ftp. For obvious security
reasons, anonymous ftp chroot's to the ftp directory. This means it's /
becomes what normally is ~ftp. A symbolic link to /cdrom would thus
become a link to a cdrom directory under the ftp directory, which is not
what you meant. What Doug suggested to do is *mount* the cdrom under the
directory ~ftp/whatever. instead of under /cdrom. This would make it
visible even after the chroot.

> Thanks to all the wrote!
> John
>
> At 06:36 PM 10/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, John Scharles wrote:

   [snip]
> John Scharles
Nadav