Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:47:54 -0800
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Luciano Mannucci <luciano@vespaperitivo.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IBM KVM on Power 8 again - tried 11 20151217-r292413

On 12/22/15 08:36, Luciano Mannucci wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 07:31:12 -0800
> Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> That's quite odd. Maybe that particular kernel had a regression? I just
>> successfully installed the 20151130 snapshot. Have you tried that one?
> Yes.
> This one installs flawlessly. After that, the next boot gives me:

Interesting. I'll try to see what happened with the 1215 one. The most
recent -CURRENT from source also seems to work, so perhaps the snapshot
builds had the misfortune of catching a transient problem.

> Trying to load:  from: /vdevice/v-scsi@2000/disk@8000000000000000 ...
> E3404: Not a bootable device!
>
> Well, I don'nt know which format scheme I should use (MBR? GPT?...)
> Or maybe there is a problem with the qcow2 format...

Interesting. You should use the default MBR formatting in the installer.
That will create a prep-boot partition and a bsdlabel in a subsequent
partition, in which / must be first. This error indicates that the
firmware could not locate the prep-boot partition.
-Nathan