Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:15:00 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@sources.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [-CURRENT] Nothing more on the console?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:31:25PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> [It could be a hardware problem but it happened right after a "make
> installworld" in -CURRENT.]
>
> My UltraSparc 10 no longer boots and displays nothing on the console:
>
> * with a Sun keyboard and screen, the monitor switches on (green LED) when the
> machine boots but nothing appears on the screen.
>
> * with no keyboard and a serial console on port A or B, nothing is displayed.
>
> I tried to type Stop-N or Stop-A on the Sun keyboard (it was a very long time
> since I had to use the console, the machine was running headless and I don't
> remember the NVRAM settings) without results.
>
> It may be a hardware problem, giving the age of the machine, but I still hope
> the problem is somewhere in the console.

There was some console related work done recently by both me and someone
else so it's possible this is a -current related issue.  BUT as far as
I know if you remove the keyboard there is nothing that would stop the
machine from at least printing the PROM monitor's initial boot-up dialog
to the serial port A.  Even if the NVRAM settings are for "keyboard/screen"
if the machine has no keyboard attached it should convert on its own
to using the serial port.

Do you get this initial PROM-related dialog at all?

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu