Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:02:57 +0100
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CURRRENT snapshot won't boot due missing ZFS feature

On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 08:43:49AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>void <void_at_f-m.fm> wrote on
>Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 12:12:02 UTC :
>
>> On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 12:55:19PM +0100, Warner Losh wrote:
>>
>> >Yes. The boot loader comes from the host. It must know how to read ZFS.
>>
>> It knows how to read zfs.
>
>I expect Warner was indicating: you have a (efi?) loader that knows
>how to deal with the features listed in:

What I'm astonished with is this part about the boot loader
for the guest coming from the host, with respect to zfs,
needing zfs properties the guest has but the host hasn't.

I have some freebsd zfs guests on linux (redhat) hosts as well.
They're using KVM. A few on Azure. These hosts (as I understand it) don't
have zfs at all. None of the guests are root-on-zfs.

So I guess the issue is with bhyve and the new zfs exposes it?
If it's not happening with other hypervisors.

Does the issue affect root-on-zfs guests only on freebsd zfs hosts
or would it also affect those booting to ufs but then loading
zfs for their data?

I'm doing some testing now with a zfs-on-root 13.2 guest, will try src
upgrading it to 14-stable, on this openzfs-2.1(?) host.