Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:13:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <jan.grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x EoL

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Michael W. Oliver wrote:

> 1. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in single-user mode, especially
> for the 4->5 step, because there is a LOT for mergemaster to do.  The
> step from 5->6 is not nearly as painful.  I didn't try to do the
> installworld and mergemaster in multiuser, and if you do then have a
> bigger set than I do.

If you're setting up machines that you're going to be upgrading like
this in the future, I think it's _really_ worthwhile hacking out a
couple of "root slices" - that is, space for a second / and /usr - to
facilitate this. You can run mergemaster on a secondary copy of your
/etc (this, of course, requries that the contents of /etc are relatively
quiescent for this step) and tidy up by hand. You can perform a dump &
restore followed by a source upgrade, a fresh source install or a binary
upgrade ad lib; just reboot (with nextboot) when done.

This also means you can keep the previous OS around for a while in case
there are problems with the new one.

For setups that aren't amenable to automated deployments this works
pretty well and gives you a safety-net for upgrades.

Cheers,
jan

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/