Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 02:28:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>
To:        Jeff Lush <jeff@nerdpower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd -dynamic question

Hi,
   The -dynamic option basically watches for IP address changes on your
"public" interface so that natd can make
appropriate changes in it's address translations.  This is exactly what
you want for a DHCP address, which will probably change from
time-to-time.  If the dhcp address changes and you do not use -dynamic,
natd will still be trying to forward using the old dhcp address.

 Your configuration can look something like this (as I do not know exactly
what release of FreeBSD you are running this could be slightly different
but I doubt it):

in /etc/rc.conf:
natd_enable="YES" # Enable natd
natd_interface="ed1" # THe public interface to the Internet, replace with
#                      your real one
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf" # Read more flags from this file

Now we can put other natd rules in /etc/natd.conf to make life easier -
This goes in /etc/natd.conf:

unregistered_only yes
dynamic

If you have IP addresses on your internal network that are of the
unregistered range of addresses (i.e. 192.168.0.X) those will now
automatically be forwarded by natd.

Hope this helps,
Ivan.