Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:16:52 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Config Manifesto comments?

I'll reply to this in more detail later, as I have a few domestic
problems to deal with first (does "local redback plague" mean anything
to you?), but in the hope that I catch you before it's too late...

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> HTML, the response was "yeah, we know, but face it - there's a GUI
> standard now, the HTML browser is it, end of story.  Learn to live
> with it, warts and all, OK?"

I disagree.  Violently.  I'll accept that a GUI may be mandatory (I
know that others will puke here), but HTML does _not_ cut the mustard
in any sense of the word.  Java?  Maybe; I doubt you'll find me using
it in the short term, but I suspect we can find someone with some
spare brainspace.

> How that effects the romeo/juliette abstraction I'm not sure, exactly,

Well, IMHO it means that BSDI have to extract whatever squeaking
object is blocking whichever orifice that has prevented them from
having Netscape support plugins on the BSD/OS versions to date.

Or we try to find a kindly soul at Netscape that will contract someone
to build a FreeBSD version of Netscape.  Hell, I'd do it.

> setup tool.  I guess that means that Juliette is safe. :-) Romeo might
> need an HTML hair transplant, but I need to go back and read the spec
> in more detail before I respond.  This is on my post-conference TODO
> list so please don't despair, Mike! :-)

Basically, it means that the text-mode UI is toast, and Romeo becomes
Tcl Plugin/Java code.  Sorry Jan.

It also means that you won't be able to run the configuration client
on anything less than a P100 with 32M, courtesy of Bloatscape.