Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:13:13 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1R NFS and FTP load problem FOUND

At 01:12 PM 4/10/97 +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
>Andreas Klemm stands accused of saying:
>> >
>> > A good memory diagnostic is to boot the FreeBSD install; if it fails
>> > in 8M or more, you probably have flakey RAM.  8-).
>>
>> BSDI comes with a RAM tester as add on utiliy on the BSDI CD.
>> YOu can dd floppy image to floppy, boot from that floppy ...
>
>I tested a pile of RAM testers here at one stage while I was having a
>running brawl with our then-RAM supplier about some memory I knew was
>faulty.
>
>I didn't find a single one that would tell me the memory was busted,
>but it most certainly was.  (They eventually relented, stuck it on
>their tester, said "oh, well it is actually stuffed" and replaced it.
>We shop elsewhere now.)

Blaming "bad ram" is like the doctor telling you you "have a virus" when he
has no
clue what else to tell you.......

If you have real bad ram (a dead pin or a bad location(s)), you get
consistent failures that
go away when you replace the ram or use another machine. If you have
"flakey" ram (bad
timing, etc) you get random failures and crashes. f you get the same failure
on 2 machines with different ram it ain't the ram.....

db