Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:41:50 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving UUCP to ports

Kris Kennaway wrote:
 > In any case, you have ignored the first argument: if FreeBSD
> > does not maintain UUCP for FreeBSD, who will maintain UUCP
> > for FreeBSD?
>
> Jeez, Terry..it's times like this I think you say this kind of thing
> just to be difficult.
>
> No-one has been maintaining UUCP in FreeBSD for the past several years
> (do a quick search on open PRs), but if someone suddenly wanted to
> they can maintain the port just as easily (easier, since anyone in the
> world can be a port maintainer, whereas you have to be a committer to
> maintain code in the base system).
>
> I would have thought that to be obvious.

Except that most of the people in the world don't have an FTP
server, and the ISP links that they do have prevent them from
running a server at all -- and it is *precisely* these people
who need UUCP.

To your point about it "not having been maintained": I prefer
to think of it as an "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Can we move on to talking about making sendmail and perl into
ports instead?

-- Terry