Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:25:49 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timetables for interface deprecation/deletion

I think this sort of approach is good.  We should introduce this sort
of thing (as a section in our man pages), but (as Poul-Henning says) we
shouldn't let it prevail against common sense.

Interfaces such as those that ps(1) and the like use should have a
classification of ``private'', meaning that you're not allowed to use it
- even if it's documented (which it generally shouldn't be).

However the stuff in places like libutil should be documented to a
degree that people know whether they should use them or not.

I don't think a major release number's worth of support is too much to
ask for.  In fact I'd say this sort of thing should be a major
consideration for any commercial body deciding to go with FreeBSD.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                       <brian.somers@sun.com>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>