Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:51:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman-Lawrence <dg@root.com>
To:        Ken Gunderson <kgunders@hpb50341.boi.hp.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intel etherexpress pro and fxp status??

>thanks for the reply.  i need about 5 additional cards for a
>personal project and i didin't want to order the intels and end
>up having to replace them.  interestingly enough, a co-worker
>informs me these cards are causing a lot fo grief under load in
>quite a number of linux boxes deployed in hp datacenters.
>apparently the cards just become overwhelmed about once or twice
>per month and just hang until reset.  chip in these cards is the
>82557.  there were numerous issues with fxp around 4.6rc time,
>and some rather long and involved threads discussing the
>issueses.  i am just unsure as to the final outcome, however,
>and i am curiosu whether this ended up being a driver or chipset
>issue.  if fxp driver then i know fbsd developers are on teh
>job, but if chipset, did the 82559 resolve the problem??
>any clues??

   The 82557 has a receive side bug that can cause it to stop receiving, but
this isn't caused by it being 'overwhelmed". The problem is supposed to only
occur when using them in 10Mbps mode, although it can happen if the link
changes state as well. The FreeBSD driver has a work-around for this problem
and it the bug shouldn't exist in newer Intel chips in any case.

-DG

D.G.Lawrence
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (503) 288 9544
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.