Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:17:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        jlk@pavilion.co.uk (Joe Karthauser)
Subject:   Re: probing scsi bus after boot?

(Moved to the freebsd-scsi list)

As Joe Karthauser wrote:

> Is it possible to reprobe the scsi bus after a reboot for allow for
> drive swapping?  I guess that there must be some support for that in
> there somewhere.

There's ``scsi -r'', though it used to be horribly broken for quite
some time.  It worked fine in FreeBSD 1.1.5.1, and started to be ok
again in -current of not too long ago (about a month or two).

_However_, drive _swapping_ is probably unsupported.  I think the sd
driver gets royally screwed if you exchange the drive that was present
at boot time by one with another total number of blocks later.  Even
the `od' driver (that is supposed to catch up with such situations)
doesn't do it right now, but there's a patch pending in one of the PRs
that allows for it.

--
cheers, J"org