Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:17:20 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
To:        jmz@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing XFree86 3.3.3.1 on FreeBSD 3.1

I've recently upgraded from 2.2.7 to 3.1 stable and upgraded my ports
collection.  I tried upgrading XFree86 to the latest version to
be as close as possible to a fully elf system (doing it one step
at a time).  I've done a make in the ports dir, and it downloaded
the three necessary files (src-1, src-2 and the patches to 3.3.3.1).
The make went without a problem.  However, when I tried a make install,
it stopped with error code 1.  Here's a snippet:

[...]
tkother.o(.text+0x16b): undefined reference to `Tk_CoordsToWindow'
tkother.o(.text+0x189): undefined reference to `Tcl_VarEval'
tkother.o(.text+0x273): undefined reference to `Tk_CoordsToWindow'
tkother.o(.text+0x291): undefined reference to `Tcl_VarEval'
tkother.o(.text+0x2f4): undefined reference to `Tcl_SetResult'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

[...]

The other errors are with these object files:

main.o tclmisc.o tclvidmode.o tclcards.o tclother.o tclkbd.o tclxconf.o
tclxkbui.o tclother.o

All errors relating to Tcl_ or Tk_ references.  I had installed TCL and
TK from 2.2.7, in a.out format, and only the 8.0 and 8.1 versions.

It was of my opinion that installing from the ports collection was
supposed to be straight forward and painless.  It's apparent however
I was mistaken for XFree86, and have forgotten something important.
I would like to know what I should have done different in order to
install the latest version of XFree86, since I obviously made a mistake
somewhere.  I remember specifying something about tcl and tk in the
make questions when it was running... but there was no mention of the
version of tcl and tk which had to be installed, or the fact that they
would have to be compiled in elf specifically.  I mention this since
I think that may be a possible source of the problem, but since this is
my first time installing from source, I'd prefer to know what's
happening every step of the way :)

Thanks for your help,

Manu