Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 17:07:08 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Bryan Otteson <ares@ida.net>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting

> Bryan Otteson wrote:

> Is that talking about the monitor?  Maybe I have to install that or
> something?  I just used the script that came with the XFree86 4.0 that
> I got so I'm not sure what the config is.

You can't use the defaults that X comes with. You can try... And most of
the time you will at least get a VGA16 mode. But some new cards don't
have normal VGA6 modes anymore.

You will need to create your own XF86Config file. The easiest way to do
this is to run the XF86Setup program. This requires the VGA16 mode, so
it may not work for you. If it doesn't, use the xf86config program,
which is command-line based. You will need to know what mouse, video
card and monitor you have, including monitor specs (refresh rates, etc),
video memory, mouse protocol, etc. If you got your computer from a
reputable dealer/manufacturer, you will have all of this information.
But a lot of dealers/manufacturers are not, so you might not have
monitor specs, etc. In such a case, research on the internet is
required.

During the normal FreeBSD install, there is an option to configure the
video. This simply runs the XF86Setup program.

Putting the wrong info into the XF86Config file can literally destroy
your monitor. So keep a finger poised over the monitor on/off switch
while you attempt to get it right.

And once you have a XF86Config file that works - save it! Everyone who
has ever used a Unix system, from guru on down, has had to reinstall
more than once.

David Johnson