Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2019 23:56:20 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: system-clang (elfv2) and devel/binutil@powerpc (32-bit): booting fail very early on PowerMac3,6 example ; also build problem why I tried this

On 2019-Dec-30, at 18:14, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Because of the (cross-)build failure (from amd64):
>
> --- acl_nfs4.ko.full ---
> ld: acl_nfs4.kld(.text+0x234): R_PPC_PLTREL24 reloc against local symbol
> acl_nfs4.kld: could not read symbols: Bad value
> *** [acl_nfs4.ko.full] Error code 1

I found something from my old experimental clang
build environment for 32-bit powerpc that I'd
missed undoing when I tried to put things back
to normal.

It turned out to be the reason that R_PPC_PLTREL24
was being generated: -mlongcall was missing in
my build. (There was a time that clang did not
have it but gcc did, so I had it conditional in
my old, experimental environment.)

With -mlongcall back in place as normal (not just
for gcc), system-clang with old ld (cross build)
completes buildworld buildkernel .

The old 32-bit PowerMac is running an official
modern-compiler-based system at last! Cool.
Thanks.

Sorry for the noise.

===
Mark Millard