Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:15:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel configuration/compilation tool

> Not today :-(  Maybe next .... (sometime)
> But we should not be building any new mechanisms that are incompatible with
> that goal.

I'm not sure that we'd even know HOW, so let's not get too enamoured
of any hypothetical interfaces here..  It's long been felt that config
has to die, and perhaps there will be enough push to do so when
FreeBSD adopts its first non-i386 platform port.  I still think that a
config front-end utility, i386-centric or not, would be a Good Thing.

After all, we're still waiting to see Richard's mythical Makefile
reorg which seems to have died due to an over-ambitious mandate by the
author.. :-)

					Jordan