Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2022 05:24:05 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING

--jF1MwzQBuAL7EKSq

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 04:39:58AM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:21:55 +0100
>tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>
>> Where, exactly, did I rant, in that report? Honestly, I can't
>> see where.
>
>	It's a rant because it's not actionable.
>
>	You failed to explain the impact on the user - you clearly know
>what the impact was but I couldn't tell from your bug report what the entry
>needed to tell the user just that you thought one was needed to tell people
>something about a name change.

This wasn't a "bug" to "fix" in the usual sense. My issue there
wasn't that the name changed per se, it was that there was no notice of=20
it in UPDATING. My issue is that baseline changes that by policy should=20
be recorded in UPDATING, are not and this is causing chaos.

I can accomodate a name change if it's added to UPDATING because=20
UPDATING is something I regularly check (like every time before a=20
pkg upgrade)

If a font name is changed then everything referencing that font=20
name will fail to display unless the php (in this case) referencing
the font also changes its reference. This I would think would
be implicitly understood by the font maintainer.

If bash changed name of its installed binary to aildgjvoieaf,=20
wouldn't you expect this to be in UPDATING?

>	A suggested entry would go a *long* way to getting it addressed -
>you clearly know what the entry should say having solved the problems
>yourself but you didn't bother to share your experience in detail.

Does the maintainer not know how to make an entry in UPDATING for a port
they're maintainer for? If so, that would be news to me.

>	Because you didn't provide a solution when you could and should
>have done so and you didn't make it easy for the triager to assess the
>importance of the bug.

My "solution" is in the bug. From the bug:

"The name of this font has changed to include the version number.=20
Can something about this be put in /usr/ports/UPDATING ?=20
Because otherwise it's easy to miss."

I was never asking to modify a program. I was asking for the fact it=20
had been non-trivially modified to be put into UPDATING. I showed=20
the consequences of the port update.Why was that not actionable?
--=20
J.

--jF1MwzQBuAL7EKSq

--jF1MwzQBuAL7EKSq--