Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:48:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sef@kithrup.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated f00f workaround

> Okay, I took Stephen McKay's suggestions to heart, and here are what I hope
> are the final diffs.  I'm currently running this kernel in multiuser mode,
> and haven't noticed any problems (yet, anyway ;)).  Overhead should be
> minimal.

This is going to sound wierd, because it means you would need to include
replacement trap() and trap_pfault() code, but...

Any chance of writing this as an LKM?

This would allow binary patch for those people who can't/won't recompile
their kernels, and would make it an administrative choice.  It would
also make it easier to carry between versions (I thought of this because
you used a SYSINIT() for it).

I've often thought that the FPU emulator should be done this way,
and the math libraries and FPU instruction inlining not be special
cased...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---