Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:13:32 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
Cc:        Roddie Hasan <roddie@ki.net>, hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hardware group <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD 586 runs FreeBSD just FINE

: I didn't change A THING!  I just stuck the new CPU in the socket and
: rebooted.  Pretty awesome.

How does this impact the worldstones?  Eg, what was the make world
time before and after.  If your machine is like my '66, then you've
likely been seeing 10ish hour make world times.  I really doubt that
the new CPU will reduce it to 4hr make world times (ref your earlier
posting about it being 2.5x faster).

BTW, it looks like to my untrained eye, I can put together a TYAN II
133MHz P5 + 32M + Matrox + Adaptech 29940UW + UW 4G 7200rpm SCSI disk
for $2000 (no monitor).  Can I get a similar config for less?  I've
not seen one in the system houses (they don't tend to use TYAN mother
boards).

Warner