Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:57:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routers - hardware received wisdom

> Well, interfaces just queue packets for the OS,

Yes :-)

> so if  you do your queue
> management properly, you discard packets based on age, and if you have
> enough memory to hold your bandwidth * hold_time you wont dump anything
> that shouldnt be dumped.

No.  If your CPU is overloaded, you will end up dumping data that
is valid and shouldn't be dumped, simply because you never have the
chance to deal with it.  And queueing only buys you a very little bit,
because when it comes right down to it, if I can overload your router
for a second, I can probably overload your router continuously - making
any queueing you do utterly useless.

> However, what you're talking about is not real data...

Until it starts coming in at you off the Internet, outside of your control.
THAT is the whole point.

> you can bring a Cisco 4500 to its knees with about 512kbs of data under
> attack, so the 4000 pps number ain't half bad!

I definitely agree!!  I would think it's actually pretty damn decent.

... JG