Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:05:20 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uh oh

Laurence Berland wrote:

> I installed FBSD, sort of.  I posted this before, now I'm getting
> desperate for help.  If anyone knows what to do please help!!!!
>
> we've installed freebsd.  We rebooted the system and the boot manager
> appeared, prompting us to
> F1 for ??? (which turned out is what it meant as win98)
> F2 for FreeBSD
>
> We hit f2, and the manager just repeats its window.  It does this
> always, and as of yet we've not been able to get to a BSD prompt at all,
> or to get it to even begin booting fbsd.  We've tried using the
> installation software to rewrite the boot manager, but it doesn't change
> anything.  I'm completely stumped.  Do we need to reinstall FreeBSD?
> Could it be that the error was because we made a second dos partition
> with the boot manager also?  We deleted the second dos partition to try
> and fix the problem, but nothing changes.  What do I do now?

I've had this problem a few times, and it is a bit tricky to
circumvent with the default boot manager.  The easiest way to fix it
is to install os-bs beta (beta supports multi-disk booting) and set up
the mbr that way.

Using the default boot manager you need to be absolutely cetain that
you've set both drives bootable and installed the boot manager on both
(what you described seems to show that the 2nd drive doesn't have it.)

--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu