Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:13:32 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape gold

<<On Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:30:40 -0500 (EST), John Fieber
<jfieber@indiana.edu> said:

> If you want an HTML editor for X that generates valid HTML, then you
> DON'T want Netscape Gold.

I've had very good results with psgml in Emacs... Just feed it the
right DTD and everything works perfectly.  Of course, you don't get
WYSIAYG, but that's OK by me.  It also has the nice feature that it is
generally smart enough to do a decent job of validation on its own, so
I've never had the need to find a validator and make it work.  It is
also very helpful in normalizing old (pre-standardization) HTML into
something that that works under the current specifications.

> It makes numerous elementary violations of all published
> "standards".  I'm not talking about Netscape extensions, I'm talking
> about basic volations with basic elements that have been around
> since HTML 1.  Inexcusable things like putting an <H1> inside a
> <UL>.

Whatever made you think Netscape cared about obeying standards?

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.