Date:      Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:56:47 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: LTS linux for ports - ideas?

On 02/01/12 04:43, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Oops, I forgot to keep emulation in CC...
>
> ----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von Alexander Leidinger
> <Alexander@Leidinger.net> -----
>   Datum: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:41:10 +0100
>     Von: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
> Betreff: Re: LTS linux for ports - ideas?
>      An: Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
>
> Quoting Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au> (from
> Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:43:49 +1000):
>
>> What is the consensus on the LTS linux distro to update the fedora 10
>> ports? Or at all?
>
> There is no consensus, as there was no discussion.
>
> If you want to discuss it here, I put up the following hard requirements:
>  - one which works with the linuxulator in 8/9 (no inotify, no epoll,
>    something else?)... no idea which one fits here, so be tested
>    (make a linux installation, copy the data to a FreeBSD system,
>    chroot into this directory, and run as much programs as possible)
>  - one which is known to be supported for a long time
>
> My personal suggestion is one which is RPM based, to be able to use
> the existing linuxulator-ports-framework. Basically this means
> probably CentOS, but I do not know another one. :)
>
> If someone wants to take a debian or whatever based distro, that's OK
> too, but in this case the person discards some years of development
> work of the existing framework (it's maybe not perfect, but it was
> created during a lot of man-weeks) and is forced to re-learn
> everything from scratch. He should also discuss design-decissions here
> and be prepared for a steep learning curve.
>
> The one who does the work is in command. I will not object to
> something which works and provides a similar seamless (or better)
> integration into FreeBSD to what Boris and I did with the current ports.
>
>> I know Alexander has a page on howto do a linux-base port
>> (theoretically)- hence the query...
>
> It's not only the work for a linux_base port, the infrastructure ports
> have to be updated at the same time:
> http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/08/29/howto-create-a-new-linux_base-port/
>
> http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/09/01/howto-add-linux-infrastructure-ports-for-a-new-linux_base-port/
Sorry, I thought there would be more replies. Looks you are the
emulation list Alex.

I thought it would be centos, but I thought I'd see what everyone else
thought about it.

I was just making enquiries for support of a particular piece of
software, but they don't support any linux version that we could
provide- at least the rpms needed to run it just aren't around. So I
noticed someone else wanted centos as well, and mentioned it could be an
option if it worked.

Just something I'm hoping to have a crack at in the future...