Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:19:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Joel Ray Holveck)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, grog@lemis.de, chat@FreeBSD.org, smut@clem-162.dorms.tamu.edu
Subject:   Re: SCSI A/V drives

> Okay, understood... I hadn't realized that the recal was a
> time-consuming process.  Why does the drive logic not continuously
> update the thermal expansion factor it uses, each time it seeks?

Because the thermal expansion fact varies radially based on the
current expansion minus the expansion ath the time the drive was
formatted.

So it isn't constant across the whole disk surface as it would be
if the track lines were parallel instead of concentric circles.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.