Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:19:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, tlambert@primenet.com, dyson@iquest.net, dick@tar.com, jplevyak@inktomi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockf and kernel threads

> :Thats probably true however for delivery of an AST I don't thing that we
> :need priviliged instructions --- I could be wrong.
>
>     Little things like, ohhhhh disabling interrupts.  Accessing the MMU
>     registers, flushing the TLB, etc.....  believe me, ring 1 and ring 2
>     is utterly useless for anything FreeBSD wants to run in supervisor mode.

Uh, if you ran the AST target function in supervisor mode, it would
be a nice truck-size hole in the security model.

The distinction between ring 2 and ring 3 is useful primarily for
drawing a border between calls to user code from the kernel vs.
calls to user code by the user.  In both cases, it's user code that's
executing: unpriviledged code.

I think you are maybe being confused with "installed images" and
"symbionts", which generally did *not* run at the same level as
AST's.

I can (and I think Wes Peters can) dig up a reference to a VMS-like OS
educational implementation for which the University we went to had
source that implemented a four-tier protection menchanism in general,
and AST's from kernel to user, in particular.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.